Financial Planning & Analysis Manager
Location: New Delhi, India; Nairobi, Kenya; Manila, Philippines; Rabat, Morocco; Dakar,Senegal
We amplify social impact by partnering with leaders to develop tailored solutions. Our mission is to use data and evidence to help leaders combat poverty worldwide.
IDinsight is a mission-driven global advisory, data analytics, and research organization that helps global development leaders maximize their social impact. We tailor a wide range of data and evidence tools, including randomized evaluations and machine learning, to help decision-makers design effective programs and rigorously test what works to support communities. We work with governments, multilateral agencies, foundations, and innovative non-profit organizations in Asia and Africa. Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including agriculture, education, health, governance, sanitation, financial inclusion, and other areas.
We have expertise in a variety of rigorous approaches and methodologies, which we tailor to each client depending on their needs and constraints. To achieve a positive social impact we:
- Support clients’ use of data and evidence for routine and major decision-making.
- Inform funding decisions – toward high-impact initiatives and away from less effective programs or approaches.
- Create and share tools, knowledge, and ideas that expand the use of data and evidence for social good.
Our diverse, growing team of roughly 180 outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more about our mission and values at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Financial Planning & Analysis, Manager role
The FPnA Manager will support IDinsight with project and regional budgeting, forecasting, value added analysis and insightful financial reporting.
This position will report to the Finance Director, and will work with the Deputy CFO and other finance colleagues in New Delhi.
Reporting and Analysis
- Oversee the monthly process of updating the monthly budget vs. actual reports and sharing project level analysis and key takeaways with each project team on a monthly basis. This will include holding calls on a quarterly basis, or more frequently, as warranted
- Suggest and implement improvements to the monthly project reporting tools and process
- Develop and maintain dashboard to be used globally for evaluation of all projects, share meaningful insights with the regions and follow-up on the action plan agreed.
- Give input into policies and guidelines for project reporting, charging, and evaluation, and ongoing forecasting
- Work deeply with teams to update pipeline and contract opportunities in the datahub, ensuring the annual revenue is correct
- Prepare ad hoc reports for project teams and funders with inputs from Finance Director
- Provide BVA analysis, commentary, and other analysis to leads of revenue-generating units on monthly dashboards
- Assist regional teams in updating project pipeline with revenue projections.
- Work with region to interpret utilization tracker and identify key takeaways for regions and for project managers
- Create project profitability analysis across the portfolio
- Prepare and update regional cash forecast for each regional office and as an input into global reporting
- Helping the regions understand which opportunities are self-funded and analyze the related utilization
- Prepare presentations for leadership of revenue-generating units and create additional value-added financial reporting and tracking
- Prepare routine reporting on contribution revenue, restrictions and receivables. Work in sync with the accounting team to ensure accurate reporting on contribution revenue and restrictions.
- Update specific sections in quarterly Board Excel Package, including project pipeline and dashboard
- Lead the reporting from the newly implemented ERP from the Project Life cycle perspective
- Work with regional and internal finance and accounts team to ensure accuracy, completeness and appropriateness of data from a reporting perspective
- Work with systems analysts and ERP consultants to ensure reporting requirements are correctly built out in the ERP
- Train internal project teams on the extracting and drawing meaningful analysis from reports in the new ERP
- Document processes and SOPs for FPnA and prepare budget and revenue recognition guidelines based on the new system
Project and Regional Budgeting & Forecasting
- Guide the Senior Associates to support project teams with tools, analysis and guidance in areas such as project budget preparation, contract negotiations, and billing rate analysis
- Review project budgets after first level review by the Senior Associates - FPnA
- Support the revenue-generating units in annual budget and forecasting processes. This may include coordinating budget processes and supporting leadership in creating their budget. It may also include coordinating the project pipeline and staffing forecasts, and cash forecasting.
Revenue and Receivables
- Create infrastructure to ensure correct billing of, and accrual for, all client revenues
- Ensure collection of all outstanding accounts receivable (external and intercompany) alongside the AR team
- Support Accounting team in preparing monthly, quarterly and annual reporting, and reconcile to management reporting and dashboards
- Manage ERP system maintenance from Project life cycle perspective along with System administrator, including setting up new projects and team members
- Act as backup for other finance functions
- Support other global financial and related tasks as and when required
- Lead or support other workstreams in finance as needed, which may include areas such as oversight of cash forecasting and investment management, Finance operations, Compliance related functions, and Treasury
- Review revenue recognition for client projects and ensure the amount recorded reflects the progress towards completion of the projects.
- Coordinate with Legal and Operations on matters of governance, compliance, and organization policy.
- Support the monthly closing and annual audit processes as necessary.
- Coordinate across all finance functions and with other Global support functions and regions, on projects and processes that span across the organization.
- 5+ years of work experience in finance, with varied experience that covers all or most of the following: Financial Planning including budgeting and forecasting, Financial Reporting and Dashboards, Accounting in a multi-entity environment, Internal Controls, and Treasury
- Significant leadership experience in the finance function
- Experience in the social sector and a project-based environment both highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other relevant areas required. Master’s degree in related areas is helpful but not required.
- Professional accounting qualification - CPA/ACA/ACCA part II or equivalent, preferred.
- Skills and attributes:
- Strong leadership skills
- Thrives in fast-paced environments and is excited by opportunities to explore and implement new ideas
- Proactive attitude with bias to action
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong project management and change management skills
- Ability to work effectively across cross-functional teams located across many countries
Skill and career development are core to IDinsight's values and long-term impact strategy, and have been noted highlights of teammates’ experiences. IDinsighters receive significant mentorship from IDinsight leadership, support from talented peers, and are given considerable autonomy when ready. They maintain professional development plans and are given "stretch" opportunities designed to strengthen a variety of skills. Real-time feedback is embedded in our culture and formal structure enables maximum professional growth. Additionally, teammates have access to an annual professional development stipend that they are encouraged to utilize to explore their career interests and develop their skills.
Nuts & bolts
This position is located in IDinsight’s New Delhi, India office.
The start date of this position is flexible, with preference for candidates that can start immediately.
IDinsight is not able to sponsor work authorization for this role. Successful candidates will not require IDinsight to sponsor their work authorization in the office in which they'll be based.
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with the qualifications and experiences IDinsight is hiring for, and competitive within the global development sector. We are especially proud of the people-focused benefits we offer including comprehensive international health insurance, including mental health coverage; paid vacation, sick, and parental leave; relocation benefits; a travel stipend; technology and work from home stipends; a professional development budget; and more.
Please note, as a non-profit, we are unable to provide compensation similar to leading private sector organizations.
How to apply
Please click the "Apply for this job online" button at the top right. Applications are rolling and considered as they are submitted. The application asks various questions in order for us to get to know you, and requires a CV and cover letter.
Please ensure that your CV includes relevant professional and personal experience as well as details on academic qualifications. CVs can range from one to two pages. Please note, headshot photographs, parental details, birth dates, marital status and other personal information not relevant to the application do not need to be included in your CV. Additionally, we strongly encourage you to use your cover letter to highlight why you want to work for IDinsight specifically, and what has prepared you to succeed in the role you’re applying for. A customized cover letter is an important part of IDinsight’s recruiting process as it allows us to understand your motivations for the position, relevant skills, and clarity of writing.
More information, including details on IDinsight’s hiring process and frequently asked questions, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to careers@IDinsight.org.
IDinsight’s commitment to reducing power asymmetries
IDinsight is committed to reducing power asymmetries in the social sector. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion reflects our understanding of the need for the sector to abandon unhealthy practices of the past. We wish to be part of a new generation of international NGOs who are honest about this history and transparent about our role in the present. Our commitment is also aligned with the impact of our work.
We seek a workforce that is inclusive of a variety of perspectives that will help us refine and improve our methods and relationships, and strengthen the services we provide our clients and their communities or constituencies. The following commitments represent our vision for the IDinsight team:
- IDinsight will have greater representation from the populations with whom we work and clients we serve.
- IDinsight will have greater representation from the countries in which we work.
- Across all countries in which we recruit, we will seek greater representation from historically excluded communities.
- IDinsight will foster an inclusive work culture that empowers a diverse team to do their best work.
IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.