Manager, Finance Operations
Location: Delhi, Lusaka, Nairobi, Dakar, Rabat
IDinsight helps leaders combat poverty worldwide by designing, deploying and promoting evidence-generating tools. We tailor the best methodologies to partner needs and constraints to fuse evidence with action. We serve governments, NGOs, foundations and social businesses across Africa and Asia in all major program areas including health, education, agriculture, livelihoods, finance, energy and governance. As a non-profit, we are laser-focused on enabling maximum social impact to improve millions of lives. Our approach rests on four pillars:
- Rigorous: We develop and use a wide range of cutting-edge data and evidence tools, including experimental evaluations, monitoring systems, data analytics and visualization, process evaluations, machine learning and more.
- Cost-effective: Every dollar spent is justified by expected impact. If funds could be better used in another way, we say so.
- Timely: Actionable information is delivered in time for client decision-making deadlines.
- Demand-driven: We deploy solutions tailored to partner contexts and needs with no competing agendas.
Our diverse, growing team of outstanding colleagues operate in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more about our mission and values at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Manager, Financial Operations role
The Manager, Financial Operations oversees the areas of finance that occur between and across the financial planning and accounting functions, and he/she will report directly to the CFO. These operational areas include, but are not limited to, Treasury functions, such as Cash Management and Cash Forecasting, Procurement, Billing and Receivables, financial governance, due diligence, and policy. The Manager will also manage our finance vendor contracts and coordinate financial projects which span across the organization. The Manager will work with the CFO to create and present reporting for senior leadership, donors, and other stakeholders. In addition, the Manager will support Accounting on audit coordination and IRS reporting such as form 990, US GAAP research and compliance, and will coordinate other special projects on behalf of the CFO.
This role is ideal for an experienced finance professional with strong organization skills, who is looking to further broaden their experience in the finance function within an organization, and get exposure to cross-organizational issues, projects, and executive leadership. This would also be an excellent role for an experienced financial professional looking to transition to the Social Sector and/or candidates from a consulting or accounting firm background who are transitioning to working within a company’s finance organization.
The Manager should have experience in accounting, preferably including US GAAP, and Internal controls, as well as exposure to project management, with demonstrated success working across multiple functions in an organization. Prior work in international multi-entity environments is preferred. Those applying should expect a significant amount of work produced directly on their own and will also coordinate work across the organization.
Treasury and Cash Forecasting (15-20%)
- Oversee and administer the banking relationships of the organization in multiple countries, and ensure that transactions are handled in the most cost-effective manner possible
- Ensure appropriate management of cash balances across the organization’s legal entities in various countries
- Ensure appropriate controls over cash transactions exist, are functioning as intended, and are monitored
- Work together with financial planning team on monthly cash forecasting, and proactively identify future actions to manage cash effectively
Procurement, Billing, and Finance Vendor management (15-25%)
- Oversee the procurement process
- Ensure appropriate policy and process vendor management, vendor selection and bidding processes
- Support client facing teams with request for proposal and bidding processes
- Ensure selections are appropriately documented
- Complete due diligence on vendors
- Oversee external financial vendors
- Lead RFP process for financial vendors, including renewal processes for auditors
- Negotiate contracts and renewals, where applicable
- Manage 3rd party software relationships, and ensure appropriate billing for users
- Implement appropriate vendor management processes
- Ensure due diligence, controls, and adherence to policies, for processes and transactions related to vendors, including data security, OFAC compliance, AML, and other policies
- Billing and Accounts Receivable
- Oversee billing to clients
- Ensure appropriate follow-up on amounts owed by clients,
- Monitor work in process balances
- Provide appropriate reporting to management on status of client balances
Financial Controls & Governance (15-25%)
- Oversee preparation of IRS Form 990, working with external accounting firm
- Prepare internal financial due diligence requirements for (potential) funders and clients
- Oversee internal finance policies
- Update Finance policies and procedures
- Ensure appropriate documentation of processes
- Ensure finance compliance with data security policies and procedures
- Support accounting team with tracking, monitoring, and executing compliance to local policies and procedures
- Identify, manage, and monitor enterprise risks that are related to finance
- Coordinate with legal on compliance and governance matters
Finance Project Management and Leadership Financial Support (25-40%)
- Coordinate across all finance functions and with other Global support functions and regions, on projects and processes than span across the organization.
- Working with Senior Accounting Manager, Coordinate the annual audits for both consolidated and local audits
- Provide Ad-hoc analysis, Reporting, and Presentations to support leadership on financial strategy and execution
- Communicate effectively with teams across the organization to ensure process are rolled out effectively initially and continue to function effectively
- 8+ years of work experience in finance, with varied experience that covers all or most of the following: Financial planning, financial reporting, Accounting, Internal Controls, and Treasury
- Demonstrated success at building effective processes
- Demonstrated ability to prepare effective presentations and other communications
- Experience in a project-based client service environment highly desirable
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other relevant area required. Master’s degree in related area is helpful but not required.
- Professional accounting qualification - CPA/ACA/ACCA part II or equivalent strongly preferred. Experience with US GAAP is very useful.
- Skills and attributes:
- Highly organized and able to work independently
- Thrives in fast paced environments and is excited by opportunities to explore and implement new ideas as our organization grows and changes
- Proactive attitude with a bias to action
- Analytical approach, and experience modeling financial scenarios
- Excellent communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate financial information clearly
- Strong project management and change management skills
- Ability to work effectively across cross-functional teams located across many countries
Skill and career development are core to IDinsight's values and long-term impact strategy and have been noted highlights of teammates’ experiences. Idinsighters receive significant mentorship from IDinsight leadership, support from talented peers, and are given considerable autonomy when ready. They maintain professional development plans and are given "stretch" opportunities designed to strengthen a variety of skills. Real-time feedback is embedded in our culture and formal, structured enable maximum professional growth.
How to Apply
Please click the "Apply for this job online" button at the top right. The application asks various questions for us to get to know you and requires a CV and cover letter. Applications are rolling and considered as they are submitted. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
More information, including spotlights of current and past IDinsighters, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to careers@IDinsight.org. IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.