Location: Manila, Philippines
We amplify social impact by partnering with leaders to develop tailored solutions. Our mission is to use data and evidence to help leaders combat poverty worldwide.
IDinsight is a mission-driven global advisory, data analytics, and research organization that helps global development leaders maximize their social impact. We tailor a wide range of data and evidence tools, including randomized evaluations and machine learning, to help decision-makers design effective programs and rigorously test what works to support communities. We work with governments, multilateral agencies, foundations, and innovative non-profit organizations in Asia and Africa. Our work spans a wide range of sectors, including agriculture, education, health, governance, sanitation, financial inclusion, and other areas.
We have expertise in a variety of rigorous approaches and methodologies, which we tailor to each client depending on their needs and constraints. To achieve a positive social impact we:
- Support clients’ use of data and evidence for routine and major decision-making.
- Inform funding decisions – toward high-impact initiatives and away from less effective programs or approaches.
- Create and share tools, knowledge, and ideas that expand the use of data and evidence for social good.
Our diverse, growing team of roughly 180 outstanding colleagues operates in nearly two dozen countries around the world. Learn more about our mission and values at www.IDinsight.org.
About the Field Manager role
The Field Manager will support IDinsight client-facing teams in quantitative and qualitative data collection both in-field and remote, and data cleaning work as needed. The Field Manager will work on a variety of projects, which may include research in education, health, agriculture, and other topics.
The Field Manager will be thoroughly trained in IDinsight research best practices. After training, his or her responsibilities include, but will not be limited to:
1. Research Preparation
- Thoroughly understand and adhere to IDinsight study protocols
- Assist in refining of data collection instruments
- Conduct pilot of data collection instruments
- Assist in translations of data collection instruments and other protocols (from English to Tagalog, Hiligaynon, Cebuano, etc.)
- Identify challenges to research protocols and suggest ways to overcome them
- Assist the IDinsight Associate in conducting targeted desk research, as requested
2. General Data Collection Activities
- Enumerator Recruitment and Hiring
- Support the project team in identifying a data collection team structure and headcount
- Work with the Associate for an appropriate JD of enumerators
- Assist Operations team in maintaining and updating an enumerators database per region/location
- Work with the Operations team to organize employment requirements of enumerators (PhilHealth, SSS, etc.)
- Advertise enumerator job descriptions and post in relevant fora
- Screen applicants and select those to interview
- Develop an interview guide template and standard scoring
- Interview and make recommendations on which enumerators to hire
- Co-develop training materials and quizzes with IDinsight Associate
- Work with the IDinsight Associate on assessment criteria
- Conduct retraining of enumerators, if necessary
- Identifying venues, transportation and budgeting for enumerator training and daily allowance (for in-field work)
- Arrange and coordinate schedule for enumerator training activities, including daily allowance (for remote work)
- Data Collection Logistics
- Manage assignments through Google Spreadsheets
- Coordinate with the IDinsight Associate on data collection timeline and plans
- Establish regular communication schedules with enumerator Team Leaders
- Coordinate phone bills, daily compensation and materials for phone interviews (for remote work)
- Manage assignments in the field based on location of respondents (for in-field work)
- Manage enumerator reimbursements and submit on a timely (weekly) basis (for in-field work)
- Coordinate lodging, transportation, meeting locations, daily compensation and materials for enumerators for field visits (for in-field work)
- Manage safety and security of field team, in coordination with IDinsight’s Safety and Security Officer and Operations team (for in-field work)
- Estimate a daily budget for enumerators per location, create a weekly field budget for cash advances and audit expenses (for in-field work)
- Survey and Enumerator Supervision
- Supervise a team of enumerators through the data collection process
- Take responsibility for all aspects of data collection, including managing the field team to ensure all surveys are completed in full, in adherence to the data collection protocol and according to data quality standards defined by IDinsight
- Address field work problems as they arise
- Conduct spot checks to ensure data quality
- Manage back checkers for rechecking
- Escalate issues to IDinsight Associate and Manager as they arise, including safety and security-related incidents or threats
- Submit daily report on data collection process and communicate regularly with IDinsight Associate following Team Leader communication processes
- Travel daily to data collection sites from main cities, with occasional overnight travel as necessary (for in-field work)
- Remotely track and review enumerator hourly/daily progress reports in Google Spreadsheets to ensure high individual performance (for remote work)
- Quantitative Data Collection (survey interviews)
- If and when needed, carry out data collection work by conducting survey interviews themselves
- Expense and Reimbursement Management
- Make sure all enumerator payments and reimbursements are processed
- Other Data Collection Activities
- Assist in documenting data collection best practices together with the IDinsight Associate and Operations team
3. Additional Qualitative Data Collection Activities
- Qualitative Data Collection (interviews)
- Directly conduct interviews according to IDinsight best practices (upon completion of IDinsight training)
- Translate between English and the local dialect in real time for foreign IDinsight staff conducting key informant interviews (KIIs)
- Carry out translation and written transcription activities of recorded qualitative interviews
4. Data Processing
- Provide support in drafting graphs using IDinsight template, as needed
- Assist in coding responses to interviews according to IDinsight best practices, as needed
- At least 3-5 years of experience working in the field on data collection, development program coordination, and/or team management within the development sector
- Strong written and verbal English and Tagalog; fluency in Cebuano, Hiligaynon and other Filipino languages strongly preferred
- Experience working with Google Spreadsheets
- Ability to manage and account for expenses in a spreadsheet
- Strong project management and logistics skills
- Close attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, while communicating closely with both internal and external team members
- Ability to manage multiple workstreams simultaneously
- Ability and willingness to work in tough conditions, including underdeveloped areas of the Philippines
- Confidence and willingness to work with Filipinos and foreigners, including giving and receiving direct feedback
- Ability to coach and manage enumerators
Skill and career development are core to IDinsight's values and long-term impact strategy, and have been noted highlights of teammates’ experiences. IDinsighters receive significant mentorship from IDinsight leadership, support from talented peers, and are given considerable autonomy when ready. They maintain professional development plans and are given "stretch" opportunities designed to strengthen a variety of skills. Real-time feedback is embedded in our culture and formal structure enables maximum professional growth. Additionally, teammates have access to an annual professional development stipend that they are encouraged to utilize to explore their career interests and develop their skills.
Nuts & bolts
The Field Manager will be based in Metro Manila. Candidates must be willing to spend extended periods of time in locations where IDinsight’s clients work. All field-work-related travel and accommodation expenses will be covered by IDinsight.
We are looking for a candidate available for the rest of 2022. The position may be extended to permanent employment, depending on performance. We are open to receiving applications from highly qualified candidates who may not be available for this entire time period and who can only work for a shorter duration.
IDinsight is not able to sponsor work authorization for this role. Successful candidates will not require IDinsight to sponsor their work authorization in the office in which they'll be based.
Compensation and benefits are commensurate with the qualifications and experiences IDinsight is hiring for, and competitive within the global development sector. We are especially proud of the people-focused benefits we offer including comprehensive international health insurance, including mental health coverage; paid vacation, sick, and parental leave; relocation benefits; a travel stipend; technology and work from home stipends; a professional development budget; and more.
How to apply
Please submit an application through this Google Form.
The application asks various questions in order for us to get to know you, and requires a CV and cover letter. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please ensure that your CV includes relevant professional and personal experience as well as details on academic qualifications. CVs can range from one to two pages. Please note, headshot photographs, parental details, birth dates, marital status and other personal information not relevant to the application do not need to be included in your CV. Additionally, we strongly encourage you to use your cover letter to highlight why you want to work for IDinsight specifically, and what has prepared you to succeed in the role you’re applying for. A customized cover letter is an important part of IDinsight’s recruiting process as it allows us to understand your motivations for the position, relevant skills, and clarity of writing.
More information, including details on IDinsight’s hiring process and frequently asked questions, can be found online at IDinsight Careers. Any questions should be directed to careers@IDinsight.org.
IDinsight’s commitment to reducing power asymmetries
IDinsight is committed to reducing power asymmetries in the social sector. Our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion reflects our understanding of the need for the sector to abandon unhealthy practices of the past. We wish to be part of a new generation of international NGOs who are honest about this history and transparent about our role in the present. Our commitment is also aligned with the impact of our work.
We seek a workforce that is inclusive of a variety of perspectives that will help us refine and improve our methods and relationships, and strengthen the services we provide our clients and their communities or constituencies. The following commitments represent our vision for the IDinsight team:
- IDinsight will have greater representation from the populations with whom we work and clients we serve.
- IDinsight will have greater representation from the countries in which we work.
- Across all countries in which we recruit, we will seek greater representation from historically excluded communities.
- IDinsight will foster an inclusive work culture that empowers a diverse team to do their best work.
IDinsight is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create a diverse and supportive workplace.